#77-7721 Armour Bottle and Jar Cutter
#15-0315 Glass cleaner
#08-9415 Masking tape
#61-3340 Dazzle Tac glue (optional)
#61-3329 Rub N Buff
Large wine bottle or other wide, tall glass bottle that fits your pillar candle
Sculpey clay-neutral color
Marker pen (washable)
Foil lined cookie sheet
Canvas puncture resist gloves
1. Put on gloves and the Safety glasses.
2. Stand pillar candle next to bottle. Mark the height at which you will be cutting the bottle using a washable marker. Set height so top of pillar will be slightly above the rim (make sure to allow for thickness of the glass at the bottom of the bottle when setting height).
3. Cut the bottle at the marked line. Follow the instructions that come with your Bottle cutter. View the directions and How To Videos
4. Place 2 straight and even rows of masking tape about a 1/4 inch below cut rim to protect sides of bottle while sanding rim.
5. Sand the raw, cut edge of the bottle with the sandpaper provided in your kit. Continue over the edge and down the side to the top edge of the masking tape. Sand until lip is evenly frosted and the edge is no longer sharp. This will give you a nice, rounded, frosted lip that will accept the Rub N Buff later and make a pretty gold rim.
6. Remove tape and clean bottle with glass cleaner.
1. Knead 2 pieces of Sculpey clay in your hands until pliable.
2. Roll each piece as evenly as possible into long ropes about1/4 inch thick.
3. Drape one of the Sculpey ropes around the bottle, making loops, swirling first in one direction and then reversing direction, sometimes looping back again (see photo). Take the 2 inch rope and interlace it with the 1 inch rope, or, use one rope on one side and the 2nd rope on the other side of the bottle. Gently press all the clay roping to the glass, but try to maintain its shape. Pinch off any excess clay. NOTE: If you are having difficulty working out an even plan of loops and swirls, try mapping out the design with the washable marker first.
4. Bake bottle on a foil lined cookie sheet at 265 degrees in the middle of the oven for about 10-15 minutes in a well ventilated room. Check often. Do not allow clay to get too brown or burn. Remove from oven when clay on the sides are firm to the touch. Check constantly while baking. Allow the bottle to cool completely
5. If any part of the clay is not secured to the glass after baking, re-attach with Dazzle Tac glue.
6. Place a small amount of Rub N Buff on a piece of paper towel wrapped around your finger. Smear the Rub N Buff over all of the Sculpey. Turn towel over and keep wiping until all of the Sculpey is colored and the excess has been removed from the glass. Take a clean piece of paper towel and buff to a luster.
You can decorate your candle holder with gems or rhinestones (not shown). Glue them inside some of the loops using Dazzle Tac glue
Article Posted: 02/27/2018 02:40:01 PM