This Holiday Trivet is anything but trivial! The mosaic is fun and easy to make thanks to our Holiday Baubles stencil sheet. Textured glass brings the pizazz for a look that says Celebrate!
#70-9001 Starter Sand Etch Kit.
#21-1659 ONO HOLIDAY BAUBLES Stencil Sheet.
#08- 9999 Gloves.
#08- 9415 Masking tape.
Soft paper towels.
Other Sand Etching supplies can be found HERE
Other Sand Blasting supplies can be found HERE
#85-2109 HOBBY KNIFE.Ruler and water soluble marker or china pencil.
1. Wash the item to be etched in hot, soapy dishwater and dry with a soft paper towel then wipe down design area with glass cleaner.
2. You may want to mark the centerline of your item before you begin. With a ruler and a water soluble marker or china pencil (not a sharpie) draw the centerline on the back side of the item. This makes it easier to create your design in the location you want it on the project.
3. Choose a large stencil from the sheet and place near or on the center of the piece. Avoid touching the sticky side of the stencil as oils from your hands can interfere with adhesion. Using a tweezer to hold stencil while deciding on placement location can help with this.
4. Place other stencils around the first varying direction of the stencils and the distance between each other. When you have placed all the stencils on the glass, it is time to etch them.
5. Using a popsicle stick or other dull instrument, press the stencil down gently but firmly to prevent the stencil from lifting and sand getting underneath during blasting.
6. Cover all the glass around the stencils with masking tape, overlapping all edges. Rub and press the tape down securely. Check for exposed spaces by turning the project over and holding up to the light. Cover enough area so that none of spray will touch any of the other glass while etching.
7. Remove sand blasting supplies from package. Put on gloves. Follow the directions included with your sand etching tool to etch your design onto the glass. (To view a sand etching tutorial video click HERE)
8. Completely rinse off the sand residue under gently flowing temped water. Remove the stencils and masking tape and rinse again. Pat the stencils dry and return to the carrier sheet.
9. Wipe design area with glass cleaner. You may want to redraw centerline on the back of the project again. Arrange any remaining design elements into their desired location.
10. Repeat steps 4 through 8 until all desired design elements have been etched onto the glass
Article Posted: 11/03/2019 04:37:59 PM