Bold and provocative, this design accentuates the character of the heart it lies upon. Everything you see here was achieved by the creative use of a corner stencil. We used an antique glass heart shaped decanter for this design. What will you find to boldly etch your heart upon?
#15-0200 Armour Etch Glass Etching Cream.
#08- 9606 Brushes.
#08- 9999 Gloves.
#08- 9415 Masking tape.
Soft paper towels.
Optional:Tweezers, ruler, exacto knife and water soluble marker
1. Wash the item to be etched in hot, soapy dishwater and dry with a soft paper towel then wipe down design area with glass cleaner
2. You may want to mark the centerline of your item before you begin. With a ruler and a water soluble marker (not a sharpie) draw the centerline on the back side of the item. This makes it easier to create your design in the location you want it on the project.
3. Center the point of the corner stencil on the bottom of the glass with the sides reaching up in a V.
4. Using a popsicle stick or other dull instrument, press the stencil down gently to prevent the cream from getting underneath during etching.
5. Cover all the glass around the stencils with masking tape, overlapping all edges. Check for exposed spaces by turning the project over and holding up to the light.
Cover enough area so that none of the rinse water will touch any of the other glass while rinsing as even the small amount of etching cream in the water will permanently haze the glass.
6. Put on the rubber gloves. Load the brush with Armour Glass Etching cream. PAT the etch cream onto the stencils (do not brush it on). Apply a thick enough layer of cream to the exposed design area that you can no longer see through it. . (View the directions HERE)
7. Leave the cream on for 5 minutes
8. Completely rinse off the etch cream under gently flowing temped water. Remove the stencils and masking tape and rinse again. Pat the stencils dry and return to the carrier sheet.
9. Wipe design area with glass cleaner. You may want to redraw centerline on the back of the project again. The next corner is placed above the first with just enough room for the side of a corner to fit between them. Cover the outermost flourish ends securely with masking tape.
10. Repeat steps 4 through 8.
11. Wipe design area with glass cleaner. You may want to redraw centerline on the back of the project again. Turn the stencil sideways and place alongside the upper corner design you just made. It should have one point almost touching the center of the bottom corner and the other reaching up to make the outside edge of the heart.
12. Cover the top flower of the corner securely with masking tape. Repeat steps 4 through 8, then do the same for the other side of the heart.
13. Wipe design area with glass cleaner. You may want to redraw centerline on the back of the project again. Turn the corner stencil on a 90 degree angle and place on one side at the top of the heart shape. Cover the outermost flourish ends securely with masking tape. Repeat steps 4 through 8, then do the same for the other side of the heart.
Article Posted: 11/03/2019 04:54:43 PM